If you wish your home were more energy-efficient, adding attic insulation in winter is a great way to help lower your heating bills. It offers many other benefits as well, though proper installation is required for the best results.
Benefits of Adding Attic Insulation in Winter
There are many benefits of insulating your attic during the colder months (especially in a place as cold and snowy as Chicago). Attic insulation can help:
- Improve heating efficiency: Insulation acts as a thick blanket on top of your home to keep heated air inside, resulting in energy savings. Insulation also helps keep your home cooler in the summer.
- Boost home comfort: Insulating your attic helps eliminate hot and cold spots. You can expect a more comfortable, consistent temperature when you aren’t losing heating through the ceiling in the winter.
- Reduce carbon footprint: Any time you cut back on energy consumption, you reduce the amount of emissions your home adds to the atmosphere. In this way, adding attic insulation in winter is good news for the environment.
- Prevent ice dams: Heat rising into the attic doesn’t just waste energy bills; it also leads to roof problems in the winter. If the attic becomes too warm, snow on the roof melts from the underside, refreezing into an ice dam as it approaches the cooler eaves. This permits water to sit on the roof for an extended time, refreezing at night and creeping in under the shingles. This damages the roof and causes water leaks. Combined with attic ventilation, insulation can help prevent these problems.
Attic Insulation Tips
- The EPA recommends a total heat resistance value, or R-value, of R49 to R60 in Illinois home attics. Different types of insulation have different R-values, so the thickness you need will vary.
- Never cover the attic eaves when installing insulation. This ensures proper airflow from the soffit to the ridge vent at the peak of the roof, which is important to prevent moisture problems and ice dams.
- Use caution when installing insulation near a recessed light fixture.
Install Attic Insulation in Chicago, IL
For more information about adding attic insulation in winter, get in touch with ThermaSeal / Lakeside Insulation, proudly serving Chicago residents since 2001. We look forward to helping you save money this winter and all year long!
Contact us online or call (800) 836-2535 to schedule attic insulation installation at your Chicago home today!