For a long time, insulation materials were made with asbestos before it was known how dangerous asbestos is. Fortunately, no insulation materials can be made with asbestos today. However, many homes may still have old insulation that should be replaced because it contains asbestos.
It can be hard to tell if your home’s insulation has asbestos. In this article, we’ll review the signs that you have asbestos-containing insulation and what you can do about it.
Does Insulation Contain Asbestos?
Most of today’s homes don’t have insulation made with asbestos. The main manufacturer of asbestos-based insulation stopped using asbestos in 1990. If your home was built after 1990, it’s unlikely to have insulation with asbestos. Most likely, your current insulation is made of fiberglass.
If you suspect that you have asbestos in your insulation, there are a few things you can do to figure that out.
Consider these factors to determine if you have asbestos:
- Fluff: The fluffiness of loose-fill insulation can show if there is asbestos. If the fluff resembles a snow drift, you likely don’t have any asbestos. If your insulation feels firm and lays flat, you might have asbestos and should have your insulation replaced as soon as possible.
- Texture: Asbestos-containing insulation was typically heat-treated, creating an accordion-style texture that gives it a unique look.
- Color: A lot of asbestos-containing insulation has a gray-brown or silver-gold color. Loose-fill insulation with asbestos tends to have a gray color to it.
Should You Replace Your Insulation?
If you think you have asbestos in your insulation, it’s best to call a professional immediately to schedule replacement. Expert insulation contractors can verify that your home has asbestos-containing insulation and can carefully replace it with safer materials.
There are countless benefits to replacing your insulation, including:
- Cleaner air throughout your home
- Reduced risk of respiratory health issues
- Added value for your home if you intend to sell
- Easier to safely remodel your home in the future
There are many different reasons a homeowner would want re-insulation services. Calling a professional should be a priority for anyone who has asbestos in their insulation.
Home Insulation Services
ThermaSeal/Lakeside Insulation provides expert insulation services in Chicago, IL. Since 2001, our crew has provided new home insulation, air sealing, waterproofing, re-insulation and other services. We have professional-grade tools to carefully remove your asbestos-containing insulation and replace it with safe materials.
Schedule an Insulation Inspection With ThermaSeal/Lakeside
It’s good to know for sure if your home’s insulation contains asbestos. Make sure you know the truth by talking with ThermaSeal/Lakeside for an insulation inspection. We can visit your home to inspect your insulation and recommend replacement or additional materials.
Make sure your home is safe from asbestos. Contact our team today to schedule insulation inspection and replacement.