Although March is just a few weeks away, winter isn’t over yet! Fortunately, there are ways to save energy and stay warm in your home. You don’t have to compromise your comfort to save money during the cold season.
How to Save Energy in the Winter & Stay Warm
There are several ways you can do this, including:
- Installing insulation. Insulation is one of the best ways to save energy and stay comfortable during the winter (and really, all year long).
- Buying ENERGY STAR appliances. Almost anything you can think of can be an ENERGY STAR product—windows and doors, washers and dryers, dishwashers, air conditioners, and much more! Just look for the blue label on the product you want to know you’re using the most efficient appliances you can buy.
- Saving hot water. No, this doesn’t mean you have to take 3-minute showers, but there are really easy ways to save hot water. Try showering instead of taking a bath and only running the dishwasher or doing laundry when you have full loads.
- Sealing air duct leaks. Your ducts are one of the most important systems in your home. If the ducts are poorly sealed or insulated, they cause your energy bills to rise.
- Installing a programmable thermostat. All you have to do is set it up and adjust the settings. Programmable thermostats automatically adjust the temperature to your presets, meaning they can be set to more energy-efficient levels when you know you’re not going to be home.
- Changing your furnace filters. Make sure to clean or change your furnace filters regularly. A dirty furnace filter can hinder airflow, making the system work harder to keep you warm and costing you more money.
- Buying CFL bulbs. You may want to think about replacing your incandescent bulbs with energy-efficient CFL bulbs. Far from the hospital-bright lights many people think of, CFL bulbs have improved in both looks and efficiency and can greatly reduce your energy costs. This is one of the easiest ways to get a more energy-efficient home—and it doesn’t affect your comfort at all.
Insulation Installation in Chicago
If you want to install more insulation in your home, contact ThermaSeal / Lakeside Insulation today. We install high-quality insulation in homes throughout Chicagoland. Contact us today to learn more about our services!