Winter is finally here—the cold temperatures aren’t only uncomfortable, they also mean potentially higher energy bills, especially if your home isn’t energy-efficient! Re-insulating is one way to help maximize your home’s energy efficiency and stay comfortable throughout the winter (and throughout the entire year).
In fact, many people install more insulation at this time of year. Unfortunately, there are less-than-reputable companies and if you aren’t careful and don’t know the signs, it’s easy to fall prey to them.
There are many insulation contractors here in the Chicago area—so how do you make sure you find a great one?
If you haven’t already, you should go online and search for companies in the area. But it doesn’t end there! Be sure to further look at these companies by checking industry websites as well as review sites like Yelp. Then, go a step further and actually call these companies to speak with one of their professionals. This can give you a pretty good feel for how they operate, how helpful they are, etc.
When you’re talking to potential insulation contractors, make sure you:
- Ask for references and contact at least three of them.
- Check professional websites—be sure to look the company up on the Better Business Bureau.
- Verify the company’s license and insurance.
- Ask about receipts or contracts before the insulation is installed (this is required by law).
- Check the bag label for the brand of insulation they will install (ask them to show you a sample—be careful about hiring a company that uses insulation in bags that aren’t labeled).
- Verify the company’s physical address and phone number. When you search for a legitimate company online, their location is displayed. No physical address and wrong telephone numbers should raise big red flags.
How to Weed Out Fraudulent Contractors
If you take the right steps, it can actually be fairly easy to detect fraudulent or just bad insulation contractors. Be extremely wary of companies that:
- Ask for money up front.
- Don’t have references or tell you that you can’t contact them because of confidentiality.
- Don’t allow you to verify their license or insurance information.
- Give you information that is outdated or no longer valid.
- Give you vague answers, don’t seem to listen to you, or try to pressure you into signing a contract.
You can visit the North American Insulation Manufacturers Association online to learn more about finding the right insulation company.
Insulation Contractors in Chicago, IL
If you live in the northeastern Illinois area, in Chicagoland, ThermaSeal / Lakeside Insulation is a good name to know. Part of the Installed Building Products family, we always work to ensure we offer the most effective insulation solutions to help you save money and live more comfortably.
Contact us to learn more about our services!